2021-22 Iowa Commodity Challenge Crop Marketing Simulation
A crop marketing simulation starts on October 20 with "harvest" of 75,000 bushels of corn and 25,000 bushels of soybeans from the 2021 crop. The simulation is open to all to practice using real markets . . . . futures, options, cash forward contracts (January or March delivery) and cash transactions to market the crops. Each participant makes their own decisions in marketing the bushels now until June 15, 2022.
Learn how a futures hedge works, whether storing bushels is worthwhile and other alternatives. New in this simulation, you can play along with example market strategy players with descriptive names such as Diverse Marketer, Harvest Seller, Crop Storer, Futures Buyer, Call Option Buyer. See how their strategies perform in a leaderboard that ranks results.
- Please use this quick registration link: https://tinyurl.com/IA202122
- Please click the “Join Commodity Challenge” button, register including creating your own password, then you will be automatically added to the 2021-22 Iowa Commodity Challenge.
- You are now registered and ready to play 2021-22 Iowa Commodity Challenge. The simulation will always be listed on the front page under Active Games.
- You begin with 75,000 bushels of corn and 25,000 bushels of soybeans from the 2021 crop that you must market by March 16, 2022.
- You can use futures, options, cash forward contracts (January or March delivery) and cash transactions to market your crops. Cash transactions are based on the market in Bondurant, Iowa (just north of Des Moines). The harvest date for the simulation is next week, October 20, but you can begin at any time.
- After harvest, storage costs begin. Corn: 3 cents/bu./month; Soybeans 6 cents/bu./month.
- All marketing actions must be completed by March 16, 2022, when the game ends.
- The marketing choices you make in the game are entirely up to you.
- The game allows you to experiment with marketing tools under real-world conditions. The prices in the game are the real, moving market prices.
Reentering Commodity Challenge simulation
Go to www.commoditychallenge.com Enter your Email address, the password you created and click the “Sign In” button.
If you have questions, please contact me, Ed Kordick, IFBF Farmer Education Program Manager at email@example.com.
Related: Third Thursday: 2021-22 Crop Marketing Webinar Series
This unique webinar series will be held at 1:00 pm on the third Thursday of the month from November 2021 through April 2022. Crop marketing education will be delivered in small portions to facilitate learning along with updates on the current markets. The series will use examples from the 2021-22 Iowa Commodity Challenge simulation.
By registering you can choose to attend any or all of the webinars. Ed Kordick, IFBF Farmer Education Program Manager, will be the principal speaker. For the complete list of topics and to register, please click here.
Want more news on this topic? Farm Bureau members may subscribe for a free email news service, featuring the farm and rural topics that interest them most!