Alliant Energy recently filed proposed gas and electric rate adjustments with the Iowa Utilities Board (IUB). Notices went out to each customer class notifying them of the proposed increase with examples. The rate review process is a 10 month process including public comment. The IUB and its staff fully analyze the petition and the IUB makes the final decision. The Office of Consumer Advocate (a state agency) also reviews the proposal and participates in the process on behalf of customers as a whole. An interim rate increase will take effect April 1, but it is refunded if the final amount approved is a lessor amount.
Public comments into the IUB docket for their consideration, can be made here: https://iub.iowa.gov/online-services/open-docket-comment-form
A series of public comment meetings where customers can comment about the proposed rate adjustment are scheduled for April and May:
- Thursday, April 11, 2019, at 5:30 p.m. at Southwest Community College, Performing Art Center, 1501 West Townline Street, Creston
- Tuesday, April 23, 2019, at 5:30 p.m. at Iowa Valley Education Center, 3702 South Center Street, Marshalltown
- Wednesday, May 1, 2019, at 5:30 p.m. at Buena Vista University, Science Center, 610 West 4th Street, Storm Lake
- Thursday, May 2, 2019, at 11:30 a.m. at the Historic Park Inn, 7 West State Street, Mason City
- Thursday, May 2, 2019, at 6:00 p.m. in the Hotel Winneshiek, 104 East Water Street, Decorah
- Wednesday, May 8, 2019, at 6:00 p.m. at the Bridge View Center, 102 Church Street, Ottumwa
- Wednesday, May 22, 2019, at 11:30 a.m. at Southeastern Community College, Building 300, 1500 West Agency Road, West Burlington
- Wednesday, May 22, 2019, at 5:30 p.m. at Clinton Community College, Tech Center, 1951 Manufacturing Drive, Clinton
- Thursday, May 23, 2019, at 11:30 a.m. at the Hotel Julien, 200 Main Street, Dubuque
- Thursday, May 23, 2019, at 5:30 p.m. at Kirkwood Community College, Main Campus, Iowa Hall, 6301 Kirkwood Boulevard Southwest, Cedar Rapids
The IUB indicated that it will also provide a web conferencing public comment opportunity.
For more information about potential impacts of the rate increase on your specific bill, you can call 1-800-ALLIANT (800-255-4268) or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Information can be found at Alliant Energy’s dedicated web page.The proposed final electric tariff can be found here.
The proposed natural gas tariff can be found here.
More information on the filing can be found on the Iowa Utility Board's web site.
Want more news on this topic? Iowa Farm Bureau members may subscribe for a free email news service, featuring the farm and rural topics that interest them most!