New conservation field days announced the week of 9/21
There were 3 field days announced during the week of September 21. For more details about this and 2 more field days, visit here.
October 10 | Cover Crops and Soil Health Field Day
This event is open to the public and free to attend. Complimentary snacks and drinks will also be provided. Certified Crop Advisor CEU’s are available.
Topics and Speakers:
- Setting up no-till equipment, with equipment available for demonstration, Roy Hardy, NTC Agriculture Equipment Instructor
- Rainfall simulator demonstration, Steve Krueger, NTC Crop Science Instructor
- Cover crop types and discussion, infield, Don Radtke, NTC Farm Operations Manager
- Soil Pit Analysis, in
soilpit, Star Environmental Inc.
- Soil Health Partnership Field Manager, Tricia Verville
October 17 | Webinar: Wet spots as hot spots: Understanding and managing nitrogen losses from hydric soil landscapes
Event Details: Speaker Steven Hall, Assistant Professor in the Department of Ecology, Evolution and Organismal Biology at Iowa State University will be speaking about nitrogen loss from hydric soil landscapes.
Connect to the webinar here.
November 1 | Cover Crop Field Day
Speakers and topics include:
- Barry Fisher – USDA-NRCS Central Team Leader/Soil Health Specialist, “Building Soil Health with Cover Crops” – 1 Soil & Water Management CEU available
- Abigail Peterson – Soil Health Partnership, and Stan Kuhns – Effingham County farmer, “Soil Health Partnership in IL”
- Jennifer Woodyard – University Illinois Extension, “IL Nutrient Loss Reduction Strategy”
- Tony Pals – Effingham and Fayette Counties SWCDs, “Cover Crop Cost-Share Programs”
- Farmer panel – “Cover Crop Q&A”
September 22 | Vollmer Sanders Field Day
Topics will include:
- Business Management and Record Keeping
- Cover crops – termination herbicide interactions, local experience planting equipment
- What is the Soil Health Partnership
- 4R Certification
- Agriculture Industry Update
A meal is provided for registrants. Register for lunch by 9/15 at https://www.soilhealthpartnership.org/
September 25 | Soil Health Field Day and Hog Barn Open House
This Field Day will include the topics of:
- IDALS Water Quality Update, Mike Naig, Iowa Secretary of Agriculture
- Lower Cedar Watershed Management Authority and Cost Share Programs, Holly Howard & Jon Matz, Muscatine Soil & Water Conservation District
- Soil Health and Cover Crop Trials, Mark Heckman, host farmer, and Lisa Kubik, Soil Health Partnership
- Considerations for Livestock Buildings, Brian Waddingham, Coalition to Support Iowa’s Farmers
- Tour cover crop plots, wetland, and new hog barn
- Supper provided by Iowa Corn
Walk-ins are welcome but please RSVP by September 21 by contacting Ben Gleason at 515-225-9242 or email@example.com
Want more news on this topic? Farm Bureau members may subscribe for a free email news service, featuring the farm and rural topics that interest them most!