Iowa Farm Bureau Cookout Contest rules
Participant eligibility:• Must be an Iowa resident, ages 13+ to compete.
• Farm Bureau membership is not required.
• Farm Bureau or affiliated company employees are not eligible to compete.
• Past Iowa Farm Bureau Cookout Contest champions are not eligible to compete.
1. Contestants who compete at a county Farm Bureau Cookout Contest and are named Grand Champion will receive an automatic bid to the Iowa Farm Bureau Cookout Contest held at the Iowa State Fair on Tuesday, August 15. You do not have to compete in a county Cookout Contest in the county where you reside.
How to enter:
2. Because not every county Farm Bureau hosts a local Cookout Contest, those interested in competing at the Iowa Farm Bureau Cookout Contest at the Iowa State Fair may sign up to backfill remaining competition slots not filled by county Cookout Contest Grand Champions.
a. Online registrants are encouraged to identify all categories they would be willing to compete in.
b. A youth category is available through online sign ups only. Youth must be ages 13 to 18 by August 15, 2023, to compete.
c. Contestants will be notified of participation selection by July 25 and must confirm participation by July 31.
• Beef (excluding brisket due to time constraints)
• Youth* (ages 13-18 by August 15, 2023)
• Showmanship* (optional category in addition to a meat entry) *State event categories only
• Contestants who were named Grand Champion at a county Farm Bureau Cookout Contest must compete at the Iowa State Fair Cookout Contest with the same recipe/meat item that won the local county contest.
• Contestants backfilling open slots will also receive a recipe form which will be reviewed during the judging process.
• Good food handling and preparation guidelines must be followed. Click here to read more.
• At the state event, each competitor will be provided a 12x12 space and is responsible for supplying everything they need for the contest, excluding power, which will be available upon request. Delivery and loading/unloading of all equipment is the responsibility of the contestant. For more information, click here to read the Cookout Contest FAQ.
• July 25—Competitors on the backfill list will be notified and must confirm their entry by July 31.
Important 2023 dates:
• July 31—Deadline for county Farm Bureaus to submit their local Cookout Contest Grand Champion to compete at the Iowa State Fair.
• By August 1—Packets for the Iowa Farm Bureau Cookout Contest mailed to contestants.
• August 15—Iowa Farm Bureau Cookout Contest at the Iowa State Fair.
RETURN TO COOKOUT CONTEST HOME