Iowa Farm Bureau’s "Take Root" program helps farmers develop a comprehensive, managed approach for their family farm’s continuation and growth from the roots up – helping ensure that what you’re doing today will create an enduring legacy for future generations.
When and where are the next workshops near me?
Workshop 1: Strengthen and Secure Your Farm’s Future: June 6 (6 – 9 PM)
Workshop 2: Build Your Farm Succession Advisory Team: June 27 (6 – 9 PM)
What will I learn?
Through our Take Root workshops, we examine real-life success stories from Iowa farm families and help you develop strategies to grow your business and secure farm assets for future generations. Take Root is not your typical farm succession meeting; it is the beginning of a process to help you develop a long-term work plan that will help you start, grow and improve your farm operation while meeting your business and family goals - whether you have been farming for years or just getting started.
The program consists of two 3-hour evening workshops set up to accommodate busy farm schedules.
Workshop 1: Strengthen and Secure Your Farm's Future
- Getting the conversation started
- Family communication and business issues
- Fair vs. equal among heirs
- Generational differences and needs
- Preparing for and conducting family meetings to discuss farm succession
- Tools and strategies for transferring wealth and assets, while minimizing the estate and income tax impact
- Estate planning concepts
- Organizing and inventorying farm and estate assets
- 24/7 online resources for creating your very own succession plan
Workshop 2: Build Your Farm Succession Advisory Team
- Representing your vision with farm advisors
- Asking the right questions to get valuable information
- Interact with a panel of Farm Business Advisors in a dialogue for issues including estate, tax and financial planning, leases and tenant qualities, and beginning farmer opportunities
How do I register?
To register, call the Guthrie County Farm Bureau at (641) 747-3014
The program is FREE to all Iowa Farm Bureau members. The fee for non-members is $55 per couple/family.
All generations involved in your family farm operation are encouraged to register and attend.