Hard work, commitment and integrity are qualities displayed by Iowa farmers and Iowa State University student athletes.
Embracing these qualities is a joint goal equally shared by Iowa Farm Bureau and the Iowa State Athletics Department, and each year 16 Cyclone student athletes (one from each sport) are honored for their dedication on the Farm Strong Squad.
“The values and attributes of farmers and Iowans are exemplified daily by Iowa State’s student athletes,” said ISU Director of Athletics Jamie Pollard. “We are thrilled to again partner with the Iowa Farm Bureau to salute these outstanding Cyclones for their Farm Strong character, work ethic and dedication to academic and athletic excellence.”
Craig Hill, Iowa Farm Bureau president, is excited to honor the athletes on this year’s Farm Strong Squad.
“We are proud to recognize the exceptional Cyclone student athletes who have been honored as members of this year’s Farm Strong squad,” Hill said. “These hard-working young men and women share the work ethic and dedication of Iowa farmers and set a positive example of their teams and community.
“Just like Iowa farmers, these student athletes continue to put their best foot forward when confronted with challenges, while rising up as effective leaders with the values and virtues that reflect what being Farm Strong is all about.”
The 2021-22 honorees include:
• Gabe Kalscheur, men’s basketball, Edina, Minnesota.
• Ashley Joens, women’s basketball, Iowa City.
• Thomas Pollard, men’s cross country, Ames.
• Cailie Logue, women’s cross country, Erie, Kansas.
• Trevor Downing, football, Creston.
• Frank Lindwall, men’s golf, Cedar Rapids.
• Taglao Jeeravivitaporn, women’s golf, Bangkok, Thailand.
• Sophia Steinmeyer, gymnastics, West Lawn, Pennsylvania.
• Claudia Najera, soccer, St. Charles, Illinois.
• Mikayla Ramos, softball, Riverside, California.
• Lucia Rizzo, swimming and diving, Woodbury, Minnesota.
• Chie Kezuka, tennis, Fujisawa, Japan.
• Wesley Kiptoo, men’s track & field, Marakwet, Kenya.
• Zakiyah Amos, women’s track & field, Houston, Texas.
• Eleanor Holthaus, volleyball, Richmond, Minnesota.
• David Carr, wrestling, Canton, Ohio.