fenced corn

Iowa Fence Law Overview

In Iowa, landowners are not required by law to put up fences for the sole purpose of marking property boundaries, commonly known as partition fences. The only exception to that rule is owners that have habitually trespassing livestock (i.e. animals that have trespassed more than 3 times in a 12-month period).

Partition Fences

While the law doesn’t require partition fences, it does provide for the following procedural options for landowners that may want them erected.
1) Voluntary Agreement: Contact neighbors and try to reach a voluntary agreement outlining who will be responsible for building, maintaining and financing the fence. Once an agreement is reached and signed by all parties, it must be filed with the county recorder. Upon filing, it becomes binding on subsequent landowners.

2) Fence Viewer Resolution: If the parties are unable to come to a voluntary agreement, or would rather have an independent entity decide the details, a landowner can request that the local fence viewers (usually the town trustees) resolve the matter. Five days after written notice is provided to the...

Members Only Content

Join Iowa Farm Bureau or login to view all members only content and receive other member benefits.