Air fryer pork chops: An easy and healthy dinner solution
I’m always hesitant to add another kitchen gadget to my already cluttered countertops.
However, there's one appliance my husband and I now can’t live without: our beloved air fryer. We use it daily to cook up quick meals and snacks.
And we aren’t the only ones who love our air fryer. Nearly 60% of U.S. households now own an air fryer, and major food companies are putting air fryer cooking instructions on their packages.
But the air fryer’s usefulness goes beyond French fries and tater tots. If you’re looking for a break from the same-old chicken dinner, consider tender, juicy pork chops in the air fryer.
Yes, you can cook perfect pork chops in an air fryer. The key is to cook to an internal temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit, as measured by a food thermometer, plus a 5-minute rest before slicing to retain the moisture.
Modern farming practices have made today's pork safer than ever, which is why the USDA has reduced the recommended cooking temperature to 145 degrees.
In addition, pork is a nutritious, lean protein source. A 3-ounce serving offers 25% of the daily recommended value of zinc, which is essential for a robust immune system. Pork also packs iron, protein, and B vitamins, vital for metabolism and muscle maintenance.
And thanks to farmers’ efforts, pork today has 30% less fat and 27% less saturated fat as compared to 30 years ago.
If you’re eager to try it, follow this easy step-by-step recipe for cooking perfect pork chops in the air fryer:
Juicy Air Fryer Pork Chops
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 minutes.
- Rinse the pork chops with cool water and pat them dry completely with a paper towel. (Boneless pork chops work best, but you can also try thin bone-in pork chops – adjust cooking time accordingly.)
- Coat the pork chops with olive oil and rub with salt, pepper and/or your preferred seasonings.
- Place the pork chops in the air fryer basket in a single layer. Leave room for air circulation between each pork chop.
- Cook at 400 degrees for 6 minutes. Flip the pork chops and continue to cook for an additional 8-10 minutes.
- Using a food thermometer, test to make sure the pork chops reach an internal temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the pork chops from the air fryer, and place them on a plate. Let them rest for a couple minutes before serving.
Remember, air fryers may vary in temperature settings, so use a meat thermometer for the best results in keeping your pork chops tender and safe.