Well, June is Dairy Month, and Iowa’s dairy farms are celebrating with farm tours and dairy tasting events around the state.
Iowa State University Dairy Farm Open House
- Time: June 6, 6-11 a.m.
- Location: Iowa State University Dairy Farm, 52470 260th St, Ames, Iowa (Directions from U.S. Highway 30: Take University Boulevard Exit (146) and go south one mile. Turn right on 260th St.)
- Details: Free samples of milk, cheese, yogurt, and ice cream! Farm tours begin at 6:30 and end at 10:30.
- Note: I’ve attended this open house in the past. It’s a great event! My family and I plan to attend this year. See you there!
Campbell Dairy Farm Open House
- Time: June 10, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Location: 24342 Westgate Road, Neola, Iowa
- Details: This open house, presented by the Campbell family, DeLaval and Dairy Farmers of America, will feature free lunch (freewill donations accepted), a farm tour, and innovative dairy technologies.
Fredericksburg Dairy Days
- Time: June 10-11
- Location: Fredericksburg, Iowa
- Details: Fredericksburg has been celebrating Dairy Days for the past 90 years. The two-day event includes a 5K race, a parade, a cattle show, a milkshake contest, and (of course) great food!
- Time: June 12, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Location: Agropur cheese plant, 332 Division St., Hull, Iowa
- Details: Enjoy free cheeseburgers, chips, milk, and ice cream (freewill donations benefit local FFA and 4-H programs). The event also includes children’s games and a small petting zoo.
Breakfast on the Farm
- Time: June 21, 8:30 a.m. – noon
- Iowa's Dairy Center, 1527 Highway 150 South, Calmar, Iowa
- Details: Breakfast will include Dad’s Belgian Waffles, sausage and dairy products produced in northeast Iowa (freewill donations accepted). Families can participate in guided tram tours, meet some calves, milk a cow, see new robotic milking units in action and visit educational exhibits.
Plymouth Dairy Farms Open House
- Time: June 26, 4 – 7 p.m.
- Location: Plymouth Dairy Farms, 23505 K-49, Le Mars, Iowa
- Details: Tour the farm and enjoy a free meal, with cheeseburgers or hot dogs, Dean Foods milk and Blue Bunny ® ice cream treats.
- Bonus: Le Mars is known as the “Ice Cream Capital of the World,” so you don’t have to worry about them running out!
Lunch Day on the Farm
- Time: June 29, 1 – 4 p.m.
- Location: Scott & Tricia Holdgrafer farm, 20070 328th Ave., Bellevue, Iowa
- Details: This eastern Iowa event is a local favorite and attracts thousands of visitors every year. It includes a free lunch (freewill donations accepted), a farm tour, activities for kids, and various food samples.